BE HERE NOW

Thursday, March 12, 2009



Yesterday I spent the day by my father in law's side at Beth Israel. He is still out of it from pain meds and suffering with the oxygen tube down his throat. They thought that they may be able to remove the tube yesterday but as time went on it became more clear that they would not be able to do this. His kidneys were failing and his lungs were still having a hard time. My mother in law and I passed the time talking to him, talking to each other, getting a bite to eat and pacing the halls.
Yesterday when I was driving Sadie to her Chess class before I went down to the city she was practicing her Family Folk Chorale solo:
"One by one the seats were emptied
One by one they went away,
Now this family they are parted
Will they meet again someday."
She sang it so soulfully in the car it brought tears to my eyes.
She said she needed to practice it a lot so that Grampa would like it.
She was quiet for a long while
and then she said matter of factly: "He won't be at the concert, will he?"
And what can I say?
When my mother in law tells Gary things like, "things are looking better, tubes are coming out, his kidneys are progressing........" and I know these things to be wrong, nothing more than her brain playing tricks on her to help her cope, what do I say to Gary?
I told Sadie she was right, he probably wouldn't be there for her concert.
I told her she should still practice because she will be there are I will be there and Grammy will be there and God will be there.
She told me that she prays all the time for Grampy and I know she does.

No comments: