BE HERE NOW

Friday, April 3, 2009

Homeschool Mama



One of the things that I love best about homeschooling is the way that it makes us as parents feel so connected to our children. It is not just really about the way that our children can feel opportunities to be connected to us. It is not just that we let Sadie still sneak in to our bed at night. It is that I love to cuddle with Sadie at night. It is not just that Sadie wants to read a book with me but I actually want to read the book that Sadie is reading and Nora may join and maybe Jonah will put down his truck for a few and come cuddle in.
One of the things that I love about homeschooling is that some of my children's favorite people are attached to some of my favorite people and when we get together we do funny things like dress up like foxes and chase our children dressed as chickens around the yard. Sometimes we get together and sing and sometimes we just get together and do nothing but the nothing is always funner because we are together.
Some days I can imagine my life as a school mom and then I have days like today when I can't imagine my life any other way and I feel like all warm inside like maybe I will cry because I am so happy to be here doing this thing that most other people are not doing with this group of people who are doing this thing with us.
Some other things that I love about homeschooling are the way that my children are so good at being children. They are still questioning me all the time, talking to me about such cool neat things and sharing their knowledge and their questions with me and we get to explore them together and we learn so much! I realize through homeschooling what a dope I really am with all of the things that I did not learn in school and then college and then grad school. I learn so much from them. They taught me this week how to love someone and hate them at the same time. They taught me that maybe it is ok to pray when it is not only a special occasion but maybe just because it is any occasion. They taught me about grief and how it can reer it's nasty head all sorts of places and then they taught me about forgiveness.
I love this time with them and feel so blessed to have discovered this wonder and joy of doing something so different, so beautiful together.
One of the things that my father in law's death has taught me is that life is short and the most important things in life are the people that we love. Spend time with them and life is better.

No comments: