BE HERE NOW

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

MUSSELS
 
The boy played a game
tussled tracked walking back
Smiling and carrying my abiding care
heart tears
in a cup
I gave to him three years ago.
It was a Tuesday.


It’s raining and then it’s sunny
the river flows with god
Or something you promised me yesterday
And I don’t remember is it summer
Is it nighttime?
What is the forecast?
How am I supposed to be?
How am I supposed to be?


You tell me
I’ll read it in the manual
Sam gave to me
twenty years ago
drugged out from the marsh where we wake up
You
Tall and silent chattering meek me
Jumping to greet you
It was a steady stream
and then it was drugs and dreams
And I couldn’t believe
you gave me away.


And now here you go again,
the boy on my porch
playing games again
so much older now
So much more tacit
flying words with meaning out of my faucet
and then a drip drip
and it’s hush
hush.


And so I’ll touch you carefully
And I won’t speak loudly
How am I supposed to be?
fearful frightened child like again
Or risen like the small careful mussel shells that we found along the marsh
all those years ago.
You asked me to eat them
And I swallowed them whole
in front of you
And then
for the world
in front of the mirror
with the sign that says “Stay Out”
Don’t touch talk look scream rave
I will
I will
I will.

May 17, 2015


No comments: