BE HERE NOW

Friday, April 18, 2008

my children



Nora rode ahead of me, taking off for a friend's house, she didn't even say goodbye. Five years old and so independent and excited to be off with her friends. She is my child, third in the line, she doesn't know anything about school. She never asks about it, never wonders about it, just lives her life. She is my child, the one who gets overheated quickly and hates to wear clothes, the one who adores my husband and has plans to marry him someday. She tells me that I can marry Jonah. She rides off with my friend to spend the afternoon with her and her daughter and she doesn't even look back.
Molly is off in Boston seeing a show with a friend. She is calling me from the train, checking in. She is not looking back either, off to new adventures.
Then I have Sadie who watches my every move. She is my child who asks me where I will live when she is old. She is the one who tells me that she will take that room over there when she is older and we may need her help. She is my child who told me this week that she could not be away for more than one day because she would miss us and there may be monsters out there.
And then there is Jonah. He is my child who is struggling with lots of challenges right now. He is my child that clings to me and I swear would crawl back in if I let him.
All so different and all my children. All special, all loved. I smell their heads at night time and it is like a drug, I could eat them up.

No comments: