BE HERE NOW

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Another day


I had an idea that while Gary was out running errands with Jonah, the girls and I would play board games, a luxury that inevitably Jonah always seems to reek havoc in lately. So, Gary and the little man left on their journey and I pulled out Blokus and Mancala, both favorites of Nora and Sadie and I. In that five minutes time, Nora had pulled out all of the polly pockets and somehow Sadie had dug up an old doll house circa 1995 possibly, and they had built their own game.
Needless to say I didn't interfere and here I am writing, something that I love to do.
Lately our lives have been like this. Sadie continues to travel on her journey of listening to the Harry Potter series over and over again while building things in her room. This week she has moved away from the Kinex and has moved on to the "Dangerous Book for Boys" projects. She tossed the "Daring Book for Girls" and told me that it was too girly and that if she had to do all the things in that book she would rather be a boy. So she is in there making and perfecting the paper airplane. Occasionally she emerges to show us one that does flips in the air or one that dives or something but all in all she is content, her and Myrtle, to hang out in solitude.
I used to worry about my children and socialization. It's funny because I never even think about this anymore. I still worry they are not "learning" enough although I am almost over that hurtle too. I never worry about the social thing anymore.
This worries me a little as I think about it now because I wonder if it is because I genrally think that most of mainstream America is a bunch of nut cases and I, myself, tend to spend way too much time alone. It's a harder life, so I hope I am not instilling this in them. But they are happy and joyful most of the time.
Now that I am not working that much anymore I have a lot of free time which I did not have a few months ago. I find myself waking up in the morning with this sense that I can do anything I was to do that day. We can go to the Museum, which we did on Monday or we can just hang out in our pjs or bake or whatever. Sometimes this is a little much for me, I like to be active and doing things all the time but for the most part I have surprised myself with how much I am ok with this.
This weekend we got a new beautiful piano that was given to us by a friend of Gary's. It is absolutely gorgeous and of course every morning for the last week we have ended up in that room before even eating, playing songs. Sadie has been playing the piano so much lately just by ear and she is an amazing piano player. Gary has taught me some bass and of course Jonah is dancing and playing the guitar or drums. We have learned Rudolph and Jingle Bells and Feliz Navidad and we sound pretty good. These are the things I hope my children will remember about their childhoods and the reason that they don't go to school.
Molly found out that she passed her GED yesterday and is just so happy and thrilled with herself. She scored so high on her reading part that she was considered superior. Part of me wanted to make a copy and send it off to some of her crappier teachers in her life. Part of me felt like crying that I had put her through school as long as I had. Most of me was just happy for her and excited for her future.
Now they are here and they are wanting me to play those games and so it goes.

No comments: