BE HERE NOW

Friday, January 16, 2009

me and Gary 9 years


Gary and I have been married for 9 years today. Nine years ago today I woke up and took a long walk around our neighborhood and had lots of thoughts to myself. I don't often get too many thoughts to myself these days so it is nice to reflect and think back on those times. I remember thinking about the actual event itself and what it would be like and my beautiful dress and all of that stuff. I also remember thinking about our life together.
I remember when I had Molly, I was 20 years old and I had no future thoughts. It was like, wow here is this baby and it will be me and this baby forever. It wasn't until she was like 4 that I started to really think about her as an individual, that she would be a teenager, an adult, an older person someday.
I think it was a little like that nine years ago, like I was thinking, "I really love this guy, we are in love and now we will be married in love and stay 27 and 32 forever. " Now we are 36 and 41 and someday hopefully we will be 51 and 56 and 72 and 77 and maybe even more. My face gets a little more laugh lines and I actually need to spend money on coloring my hair, its not just for fun anymore. Gary looks great, he has aged wonderfully, solid as a rock, never changing.
We are different together though. I never dreamed Gary would be the parent that he has turned out to be. I never dreamed we would buy one house and then another, that Gary would route me on to finish my graduate degree and we would be content to be together in this crazy town of Gloucester for this long.
I am reading this book about this woman who ends up leaving her husband after many years together, after raising a family and becoming old together. It is so sad and depressing to watch her as she just walks away from this man and to read about this loveless life that they had together. I adore Gary. I really do.
Some people grow together, some people grow apart.
I also look forward to our later years. I am not wishing our children older or any of that but I also relish my time with Gary alone. I crave it all the time and I look forward to it at the end of the day.
Gary and I are going to North Hampton for the weekend. Grandparents are watching children and we are free to be together for three days and reconnect.

2 comments:

S said...

Congratulations on 9 years. I understand what you mean about looking forward to your time together alone. I think about that as well, with my hubby. Personally, I think its a natural progression in the evolution of our marriages. For me it shows that yes, our family is the focus at present, but also that we have interests and loves that keep us strong solely as a couple as well. I hope that you had a lovely day filled with lots of warmth and love.

singingfamily said...

thanks Sheri We did have a great time, sometime I'll post about it:)