BE HERE NOW

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Changes

It has been so long since I wrote in this blog, I am not sure how to begin. Everything is changing. Things are beginning and things are ending and life is moving so swiftly. After much hemming and hawing, last spring we decided to embark on a new journey for Sadie. School.
I couldn't believe that we were even entertaining this idea. I dreamed, thought and hoped that we would be that family that had our unschooling kids hanging around with us, taking the train in to Harvard Extension and trying all sorts of neat and interesting things with us as adolescents and in to adulthood. But Sadie wanted to try school.
I ached about it. I had nightmares about it. I talked about it. I prayed about it. A lot. And then one morning in April or May I awoke and it was ok. There was a deep calm inside of me that permeated throughout my body and mind and I knew that school or no school was not the only thing that identified our family and who we are. We chose a very small Christian school to try out first and Sadie spent the day there. She loved it. She came home with lots to report and with the story of one of her classmates who at the closing prayers prayed that Sadie would make a good decision and come to their school. I loved thinking about a child praying openly.
My best friend Ashley (who someday I will write a big long blog entry about) is Orthodox Jewish and works at an Orthodox Jewish day school and she talks about this affectionately. That although there will be things that bother me about the religiousness of the school, the fact remains that we are raising our children in an Episcopal church and we regularly pray before meals and we hold the hope and belief in our home that our Grampa is in heaven. It's ok. I knew it when I woke up that day.
What is literally shocking is that over the course of the summer, because we had opened that door, all sorts of other doors proceeded to open in front of my eyes. Jonah started to talk about going to school and we figured out ways to creatively cut costs so that he could enter Kindergarten with Sadie next year. And now we are in the final stages of working out Nora going too.
All my children are thrilled for this adventure and there is a calm and ease in our home right now that has not been there in this magnitude for a long time.
I am so glad that we homeschooled. I am so glad that we kept our little kiddos close and that we will continue to do so. It has made all the difference. I am grateful that I was able to hear my children and let them go when they needed to be flying free a little.
Right now Jonah is still in his PJs playing the drums with Gary downstairs in the basement. Nora is brushing her hair in front of me and asking me questions. And Sadie has buried herself in a dictionary learning how to spell better. Molly is in Vermont having her own adventures in college and I am here marveling at this life unfolding before me.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

It's so funny. I started reading your blog two years ago. Tonight, actually, I believe. It was the night before the first day of school and I was heartsick over sending my girls back to school after a summer spent homeschooling. Well, working together; I wasn't calling it homeschooling yet. I had contacted you and you had offered to answer any questions or whatever.

This summer, after two years of deliberations, we have finally decided to try homeschooling and we are all so thrilled!

I know exactly what you mean about once you open the door to what you are meant to do, all kinds of good things start happening. I completely believe there is positive energy all around us and we need to tap into it and hang on for the ride. Although our decision is the opposite of yours, good things have been happening here too. happy things.

I wish you and your family all of the best, lots of love and light and positive energy as you start your new adventure!!

And, I hope you update your blog and let us know how it is going!