BE HERE NOW

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Gotcha Last

Currently Grampa John's favorite game is "gotcha last." Over the last two years this game has evolved and changed to mean different things. The rules started out simple enough. I got you last meant I got you last and there was a cat and mouse kind of chase thing and a lot of slamming doors. Over the last couple of years "gotcha last" has come to be played in a more figurative way. You don't necessarily have to get up and chase someone to get someone last. You could give them a glance or carry a yardstick and poke them on their way out the door. Gotcha Last. John always gets us last. I don't know when it happened that way but it has come to be understood that John wins this game. Everytime.
And my children, even my little children who want to win all sorts of other games, understand this rule. They always let John get them last.
Lately "Gotcha Last" has meant another way to say good bye. The kids will be piling in to the car for school or an activity and John's window will open and out will come those words "Gotcha Last!" See ya later, in a while, till next time.
As we wait for this lung I think about that farewell. I remember when he could get up to chase us and I wonder when did that happen that he has lost that ability. Now on most days I find him under blankets on the couch sleeping or fading. Last week I walked in on him roughly carving a peice of wood. He looked up at me almost ashamed or embarrassed as if I would wonder about his new activity. I can't believe how strong he is. I can't believe I think I ever have problems when I can't find my earrings or my pants don't fit right.

No comments: