BE HERE NOW

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

School Vacations

At the beginning of school vacation our house is always a little more relaxed than usual. Everyone else in our community is excited. We must get in on this excitement too. For us, that meant baking cookies on that Friday a few weeks ago and listening to Christmas music and Sadie waiting for the next door neighbor to get home from school.
Watching the kids go on vacation is a joy in itself, running wildly around town, laughing, smiling, high fiving each other, glad to be done for two solid weeks.
This novelty used to last for quite awhile inside me. This year I had maybe three days of excitement before I was ready for them all to go back to school. I wanted the grocery store back, I wanted the doctors office back and I wanted our library back. Last night on the ride home from a very busy day at work, I was thinking about today. What fun thing could we do today? I had made some extra money at work and was in the mood to spend it on some little fun extra thing. I have been meaning to get a membership to the Museum of Science in Boston. We all love going there. Even Jonah flips out over the dinosaurs and the models exhibit they have. We have been offered several times over the last two weeks to go to the museum with friends who are on school vacation but I just could not bare it, even to go with school friends. We have been sick and so we have been inside this house for about a week straight, aside from my venture out to work yesterday and Nora's physical.
I hemmed and hawed about my idea all the ride home and then it dawned on me. Kids are back to school today! The glee in my heart was too much:) We could once again go out and not be surrounded by people the whole trip long, too good to be true. We are going!
Today I am excited to have Gary home for one more day. I start back to my regular work hours tomorrow and that vacationy feel will be gone from our house. The thought of being in Boston together for the day is a joy.
Last night one of the nurses I work with commented to me when I told her that Sadie was still sick. She said that she thought that was the worst because it is right around that time when you really want them to go back to school.
She doesn't know I home school. I got really sad about that. If my children ever do decide they would like school I will really miss this trip we are on together. I know their lives are theirs alone but I would really miss them being here with me.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Today we went to Chuck E. Cheese to celebrate our eldest's birthday. IT was so crowded and crazy that we decided that we would come back during the week so they can really play what they want and finish off their coins. It is so lovely to be able to go places when no one else is there.