BE HERE NOW

Friday, May 23, 2008

Cranky homeschoolers


Today I had to go to the doctors for a couple things that I have been putting off for months now. We woke up late and Gary is away and I don't know the full moon has been looming over us all or something but man, we were all cranky. I made Jonah a nice warm bath which usually puts him in a great mood for the day, fed everyone bagels and ran out the door.
In the waiting room of the doctors there was a mother doting all over her two babies and a few other singles waiting. I was cranky and so were the girls. I don't know, we just could not get our groove today. One wanted me to read one book and then the other complained that I never read her books and the fight started (oh the fight!! can't we make it through this without the fight???)
So I told them that we were all cranky and that we should all kind of look over separate things and after the appt we would converge at the park and hopefully the outside and the sun would help us feel better. They seemed somewhat ok with this plan with only minimal wanking.
As I got called, three kids following me with long faces, I could hear the nurses in the nurse's station talking about homeschooling. I knew they were talking about me. Oh great, I thought, now not only do I have to be mom with kids but I have to do the whole homeschooling mom with kids thing too, ugh, not in the mood.
The nurse comes in a looks at all our long faces and says, "wow, it must be really hard homeschooling three kids."
Excuse me, did I invite this conversation? I am actually here about my Achilles tendon thanks.
I just smiled and said, "Actually no, it's not and I have four kids, one is not here currently."
I hated her.
I didn't mean to hate her, but I did.
She proceeded to tell me how she looks forward to the moment she boots her kids out the door everyday and all the benefits there are to school.
School, bah humbug, long faces, scowl.

I realized today that no matter what mood I am in, no matter what my children are saying or doing, it all comes down to their experience of homeschooling. If my children are having a long faces kind of day, homeschooling. If my children are reciting the presidents in order, homeschooling. If my children are struggling in a group of friends, homeschooling. If my children are excelling at sports, homeschooling.

Everybody has good and bad days, even us homeschoolers.
Just for the record we did go to the park and then had a sort of ok day. We were still kind of cranky. We had a cranky day. There's always tomorrow.
Tomorrow we are going to a music festival. My husband will be one of the feature performers, how cool is that. He took Molly to NYC this week for another big show he had opening for Collective Soul and my 15 year old was exposed to all sorts of cool things that if she had been sitting at a desk she would have missed. Here is her with some famous guy, I don't know who but she does:)

1 comment:

S said...

It's always amusing to me how quickly everything to everyone becomes homeschooling related. I have always felt that we are judged more harshly than everyone else. The only difference though is that while we see the best and worst of our children, the public schoolers can chalk their grumpy children's' attitudes down to "what they've been exposed to at school". It is so ridiculous!