BE HERE NOW

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Clean House


Normally I am working today but for reasons I will not go into I am here for several hours this afternoon on a Wed afternoon. Most Weds I work this crazy all day and night shift and come home to what seems like a motionless house, clean dishes, folded laundry and schoolwork all spread out of the table for me to see, drawings left out of Nora's and a pot of something left on the oven.
Yeah, my husband is the man.
Today I had to come home mid day and there lay every toy I think we own all spread out through our playroom. Toys I hadn't even realized that we still owned were there in some sort of a homemade town. Blocks and legos created the structures and all sorts of figures were used as people. It was a truly fun scene......... but far from clean.
The upstairs featured a similar situation and I sighed a loud sigh resigned to exist in this way for how much longer??
When we moved in to this new house I got white carpets for my bedroom. We were going to have a bedroom I told my husband, one all to ourselves where only adult things would be featured and having the white carpet would drill the point home.......
WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING!?
Our room is a toy room filled with everything from headless Barbie to siren screaming fire truck. Every kids book is of course in our room because that is where my children always end up reading in our bed because, well frankly Gary and I have the best bed in the house.
And the carpet........... (insert wild laughter here)
Well it's not white anymore, more like a dull gray with dribbles from nightly drinking of both children's concoctions and I am sure a few adult beverages as well.
Someday I will have a fancy house. My house will have oak thick paneled wood flooring and beautifully painted bedrooms with plants that stay alive and smudge free windows.
I will have curtains that actually match and stay on their rods for more than a week at a time. I will have a yard that is not filled with toys and riding apparatuses. And it will be quiet............
And then I will remember these days and long for them back and be willing to trade it all for my peanut butter bandit son who smudged his hands and face all on my brand new Chicos jacket that cost $88 today. Why I was wearing a Chicos jacket that cost $88...........well that is a story for another day.

1 comment:

S said...

I had to giggle at the white carpet. My wild adventure at all "grown up/no kids" was a white comforter. Ha! Between dogs and kiddos it lastest about a year. Alas, it was not to be. ;)