BE HERE NOW

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sending an SOS

On Tuesdays Gary has the kids until 2pm when I get home from the school that I see kids at for counseling. On this day when I met Gary in the usual place off the high way half way my children were so excited to see me and so happy. I love that especially after leaving a school where there is just not enough of that stuff going on.
On the way to swim team we talked in the car, Sadie and I, while Nora and Jonah sang along to our favorite Pete Seeger CD. Sadie told me how she had earned money over at Grandma's today and how she had cut out various different words from the newspaper because she likes to participate in this schooly newspaper thing that Gloucester does where everyday they tell a story or give you some sort of educational thing to do. She loves this thing. It gets us a free paper so it's a win win if you know what I mean. She told me all about the new words that she learned and then got a funny look on her face remembering something else.
"Mom, who has one leg and two arms?"
"Who's that Sadie?"
"Ilene" ..........
"get it mom, I Lean, get it?"
Then she proceeded to tell me about ten more of these jokes laughing hysterically in between each one. It dawned on me two jokes in to it that I knew where all this was coming from. Grandpa John is the king of jokes and Sadie had been over there cleaning for my mom for some of the day.
I loved this.
I loved the idea of her over there hanging out with John yucking it up to funny corny jokes in his store of humor telling me about the shows he had been watching that day such as Leave it to Beaver and sharing stories of his childhood with her.
Sometimes John talks about going to see a therapist lately and I think that this would be a great idea.
But today I thought about John in there with Sadie reliving some of his past with her and the value of that togetherness in story. The fact that I am sure her carefree ways remind him of little John hunting through the forest for unsuspecting woodland animals and digging for dinosaur bones.
On the ride home from swimming we heard that Sting song that refers to sending an SOS to someone, I forget the details now and Sadie started telling me all that she knows about SOS including historical facts about this code and well, frankly, things I did not have any knowledge of so I said, "Sadie, where did you learn that?" and she thought for a minute and said, "Oh I don't know, how I learn everything, somewhere I read it or heard it or something."
I love that.
Jonah is on my lap now and we are listening to the Juno soundtrack. It is his favorite. Tomorrow I venture back to the gym to begin running again. I have taken almost a year off from running, something I used to love to do. I injured myself last year and have not returned. I feel this urge lately and am excited to go back.

1 comment:

Christa said...

Kelli, I have passed on an "E" award to you because you are Excellent! Hop over to my blog to snag your award.